Bosnia and Herzegovina has featured in 4th place on all-that-is-interesting.com list of 5 Amazing Countries You Know Nothing About. This website is known for its compilations of interesting travel destinations and facts.
BiH is listed as one of the 5 most amazing tourist destinations in the world and is the only European country to feature on the list.
It is described as a small nation in Eastern Europe with a history of bloody conflict, but which is not a growing hot spot for tourism.
The five most interesting facts about BiH according to this site are:
1. In 1885,when there were only 38 United States, an electric tramway was constructed in Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. It has been in operation ever since.
2. There are three presidents from each majority ethnic group: Bosniak, Croat and Serb. Together, they serve a four-year term. They each serve as chairman, rotating spots every eight months.
3. Bosnia’s Kravica Waterfall is almost 400 feet across and has an 82-foot drop. It’s a great place for swimming and visiting the nearby Ljubski winery.
4. The Perućica Forest can be found near the border with Montenegro and is one of the last primeval forests in Europe. The tallest Norway Spruce is located in this forest.
5. The Tekija Dervish Monastery, built in the 16th century by order of the sultan, sits on a 600-foot cliff at the largest source of water in the country. No longer in operation, it is a popular tourist destination and houses the tombs of two long-term sheiks of the order.
In first place all-that-is-interesting listed Mozambique, a medium sized country in southern Africa that was once a Portuguese colony, in 2nd place the island of Curacao, in 3rd Canada and in 5th the popular tourist destination Vanuatu.