For the first time, the Norwegian Embassy in Belgrade is organising a month of Norwegian culture in Serbia with the aim to bring a taste of Norwegian culture, from literature and music to film and cuisine.
Some Octobers are rainy, some are marked by Oktoberfest or October Salon, but this one is simply NOktobar – a month of Norwegian culture in Serbia. This means that all of the NOktobar’s days are filled with various aspects of Norwegian culture, albeit on different locations. The program is designed so that you can see them all, but you need to come to at least one event. If you follow us on Facebook, you have a big chance to get tickets for some of them.
Think you know Norwegian culture? Think again:
– October 4-5 – Norwegian children’s choir (aged 10-14 years) from Nome Kulturskole led by Cedomir Popadic, a Kraljevo born Norwegian, will perform at Joy of Europe, which is taking place from October 2-5. Bring your little ones to sing along!
– October 11—16 – Norwegian Film Week will be held at the Yugoslav Film Archive in UzunMirkova 1. Jan Erik Holst, famous Norwegian film critic and former director of the Norwegian Film Institute, will open the festival while special guest will be renowned Norwegian movie director and feminist AnjaBreien, who was the first woman to enrol at the Film Academy in France. During the Norwegian Film Week, we will get to see seven Norwegian movies and few short movies mainly dealing with women’s rights. Breien is also known as the partner of Thorvald Stoltenberg, the Norwegian diplomat, politician and former First Secretary at the Norwegian Embassy in Belgrade.
– October 17 – Deli Monday at KC Grad-u where the Embassy staff will cook and serve a traditional Norwegian meal Fårikål (lamb in cabbage). Who says that Norwegians eat only salmon? October is the month of fårikål when all Norwegians eat food as their poor ancestors had. We are waiting for you to taste it together!
– October 23—30 – The famous Norwegian writers Erlend Loe (Geopoetika) and Svein Monnesland (Prometej) are coming to the Belgrade Book Fair. If you ever wished to have your book signed by your favourite authors, now is the time to do it at the stand of Geopoetika or Prometej publishing house.
– October 23—30 – Three Norwegian films for children will be shown at Kidsfest – children’s film festival in Dom Sindikata.
– October 28 – Two big names of the Norwegian jazz scene, Tord Gustavsen and All Included, are playing at the Belgrade Jazz Festival in Dom Omladine.